March 2021 Post Talk
NORTH BRANCH POST # 85
By Glenn Pierce, Adjutant
- Membership Meeting March 9th 6 PM
- Auxiliary Meeting March 9th 7 PM
- SAL Meeting March 16th 6 PM
Rick Hals, Commander - Greetings to all and I hope this post talk finds you in good health. This months meeting will be at 6 PM on March 9th, and will be opening the meeting and then have the awards ceremony followed by a dinner and then resume with the meeting. Several members have asked how the post is doing in these strange and difficult times. I can report that the bar has been steadily improving, not to fast but on the right track. Carene, our manager has been on top of our income and expenses. The gaming is doing well, especially with both bingo pots maxed out at $2000 each. We are still going ahead with all our Midsummer planning, of course that could change anytime with another up swing of Covid 19. I look forward to seeing everyone on March 9th.
Michelle Still, Auxiliary President - The American Legion Auxiliary has a great program for junior members! They are taught to serve our veterans, military and their families through mentorship from the auxiliary. Junior members hold their own convention, fun events and have a patch program. Daughters and granddaughters of American Legion members from birth to 17 years are eligible. Applications can be found at the Legion Hall or by contacting me at 651-295-7260. I would love to share about these amazing young people.
Randy Koivisto, 1st Vice Commander - It’s time once again to recognize those Legion members that have achieved significant
milestones regarding their American Legion membership. The annual awards program was delayed this year due to the pandemic. We feel that the conditions now allow us to proceed. Unfortunately we will be unable to invite the VFW, community contributors, and staff, to join us due to the hall capacity dictated by the social distancing rules. Mask use will be required when not eating or drinking.
We will be honoring those members that have reached their 10,20,25,30,40, and 50 year continuous years of membership. We will be serving a spaghetti dinner after the ceremony. It’s to be held on Tuesday, March 9th, in our hall. We will be starting at 6pm sharp, so if you plan on attending, please be punctual. We hope to see you there!
Glenn Pierce, Adjutant - It’s time for a reminder that the North Branch American Legion Post 85 will again be offering 5 $1000 Scholarships to students of North Branch High School. Graduating Seniors should see their school counselor for applications and details.
The American Legion also offers a Legacy Scholarship to qualifying members.
To qualify and apply for The American Legion Legacy Scholarship, you must be able to answer YES to the following 3 questions.
- Are you currently a high school senior and/or accepted at or attending an institution of higher education?
- Is your institution of higher education a nonprofit and regionally-accredited institution? (If you are unsure, contact your institution's admission office. Regional accreditation applies to the whole school not a program.)
- Does at least one of the following statements apply to you?
- A legal parent of mine died while serving on active duty, U.S. military service on or after September 11, 2001. (Does not have to be a death out-of-country or in combat.)
- A legal parent of mine is a Post-9/11 veteran of the U.S. military, who has been given a disability rating of 50% or higher by the Veterans Administration.
If you can answer YES to the previous 3 questions, you may fill out this online application.
If you have already created an account on the Legion.org website, please SIGN IN now. If you have not created an account on the Legion.org website, please click on the SIGN IN link and get started.